Table of Contents
What is Mechatronics Engineering?
Mechatronics Engineering is a multidisciplinary field that combines several types of engineering—electrical, computer, and mechanical—and refers to the skill sets needed in the contemporary, advanced automated manufacturing industry.
At the intersection of mechanics, electronics, and computing, mechatronics specialists create simpler, smarter systems. Mechatronics is an essential foundation for the expected growth in automation and manufacturing.
Mechatronics is an industry buzzword synonymous with robotics and electromechanical engineering. Robotics, control systems, and electromechanical systems fall under mechatronics.
If you like mechanics, robotics, or production equipmen, have a knack for creative problem-solving, enjoy technical and engineering activities, Mechatronics Engineering degree could be the right fit for you.
How to become a Mechatronics Engineer in Malaysia?
A bachelor’s of science in Mechatronics Engineering is required to become a mechatronics engineer. Courses vary from university to university, some put more emphasis on electronics, some mechanical engineering, and some focus more on software and computing.
The graduation for Mechatronics Engineering in Malaysia is often accomplished in four years.
A background in mechatronics engineering renders a strong set of skills and understanding that will enable students to learn the underlying principles of mechanical, electrical, software, instrumentation and controls engineering and gain hands-on experience in the lab.
Students are trained to work in any mechanical and instrumentation discipline, whether they decide to work in industry or pursue a graduate research degree.
Students will be educated and trained in various aspects, such as:
- Gain and apply principles of Mathematics, Science, and Engineering to the solutions of complex engineering problems.
- Tackle difficult engineering problem analysis and apply engineering teachings to solve them.
- Use proper tools and techniques for complicated engineering problems.
- Capability to examine complex engineering problems using research techniques.
- Interact effectively and professionally on complex engineering activities.
- Intelligence to comprehend and demonstrate good practices of engineering in sustainable development and environmental concerns for the solutions of complex engineering problems.
- Engage in professional engineering practice for safety, health, social, cultural, and legal responsibilities in developing solutions for complex engineering problems.
- Execute the duties of an Engineer professionally and ethically.
- Function effectively as a team leader or a member of a team within multi-disciplinary settings.
- Recognize the need for, and be able to engage in independent and life-long learning towards continuous professional development.
- Prove entrepreneurship skills, engineering project management, and economic decision making in multidisciplinary environments.
Some Common Subjects
- Analogue Electronics
- Digital Electronics
- Electrical Systems
- Engineering Mathematics
- Electromagnetic Field Theory
- Engineering Software & Applications
- Signals and Linear Systems
- Strength of Material
- Robotics Technology
- Sensors & Actuators
- Control Engineering
- Communication Engineering Principles
- Machine Design
- Numerical Methods & Statistics
- Microprocessor Systems & Embedded Software
- Engineering Project Management
- Fluid Mechanics
- PLC & Pneumatics Systems
- Machine Vision & Intelligence
- Digital Signal Processing
- Power Electronics & Drive
- Analogue Integrated Circuits & Systems
- CAD/ CAM
- Thermodynamics & Heat Transfer
- Product Creation Technology
Why Study Mechatronics Engineering in Malaysia
Multidisciplinary abilities: When you acquire a mechatronics engineering in Malaysia, you’re coupling an extensive range of skills in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, and control systems. In a sense, it’s like earning three or four engineering technology degrees in one.
The multidisciplinary abilities and expertise you’ll gain in a mechatronics engineering technology degree program will give you the solid foundation you need to solve complex engineering obstacles. It will also give you a big-picture perspective, flexibility, and versatility — all key elements of career success.
High-impact jobs: Careers in Mechatronics Engineering in Malaysia are expected to grow rapidly in the next 10 years. The U.S. Department of Labor and the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry has identified mechatronics as an emerging discipline that will be both high priority and high impact. A mechatronics degree will put you at the forefront of tomorrow’s jobs.
Hands-on labs: The discipline of Mechatronics Engineering in Malaysia is hands-on, so it only makes sense that a mechatronics degree program would be hands-on, too. Mechatronics engineering technology students put theory into practice in the state-of-the-art labs.
You’ll work with the same components, systems, and technology that today’s professionals are working with in the field. This means you’ll graduate with the confidence and experience you need — and you’ll require significantly less on-the-job training than many of your peers.
Resources and equipment: The hands-on mechatronics knowledge you’ll get in labs is invaluable — but the resources and equipment you use in those labs make all the difference. You’ll have access to:
- FESTO modular LeamLine lab stations
- FESTO MPS (Modular Production System) integrative systems.
- National Instruments ELVIS trainers.
- Fluids and hydraulics testing and measuring equipment.
- 3D printers.
- Function generators, oscilloscopes, and digital multimeters.
- A dedicated lab for senior projects
- Lastest generation computers and software, and more.
Insider insights: Benefit from the expertise of top Mechatronics Engineering in Malaysia professors who are active in today’s industries. you’ll form close relationships with professors who will give you key insights that can only be gained from years on the job. You will also maintain relations with powerful industry leaders.
Internships: As a mechatronics engineering technology student, you’ll have the opportunity to get an internship with the industrial, corporate, or government body that best suits your goals for mechatronics engineering technology employment.
Internships are designed to provide practical work experience solving real-world problems in a dynamic environment, yielding enhanced job opportunities upon graduation.
Appropriate skills: In the degree program for Mechatronics Engineering in Malaysia, you’ll not only learn the theory of why things work, but you’ll also learn how to develop the systems yourself.
Mechatronics students learn how to build, repair, program and manage smart devices and controls —the skills employers look for which enables students to anticipate problems and create solutions that are immediately applicable in the field.
High standards: Mechatronics Engineering in Malaysia combines collaboration and leadership skills while developing students for lifelong learning, assuming personal responsibility, and applying the highest expert and ethical standards to global issues in the mechatronics field.
Great paying jobs + high starting-salaries: Professionals with mechatronics engineering technology skills are highly valued by today’s rapidly innovating companies, and salaries reflect that fact. According to ziprecruiter.com, entry-level mechatronics engineers earn an average of $54,500 per year.
This salary can rise rapidly, as shown in the average salary for all mechatronics engineers, which is $88,800 per year. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, salaries for mechatronics engineers typically start at $50,530 and go up to $138,000. The median mechatronics engineer salary is more than $100,180 per year.
A resume that stands out: Employers and hiring managers in mechatronics industries are looking for applicants who have both an extensive engineering and technology foundation and the ability to apply that knowledge to solve real-world problems.
The mixture of comprehensive courses, extensive lab work and internship opportunities that makeup mechatronics engineering technology program makes you a competitive front-runner for the top mechatronics jobs. Mechatronics Engineering in Malaysia will provide you with the right career start.